CYBER SECURITY UPDATE – 18th May 2017 All Laptop and Tablet Users
CYBER SECURITY UPDATE – 18th May 2017
You can download this document here in pdf & in word
All Laptop and Tablet Users
All users were previously notified of the following:
If you use a HSE laptop/tablet and have not connected to the HSE network in the last week, please do not connect your machine to the network tomorrow (Monday 15th May).
We are now managing the remaining laptops and tablets that need to be made secure and protected from the ransomware threat.
From today (18th May 2017), please follow the instructions below.
These instructions apply whether you are using your machine remotely (e.g. at home) or whether you have the laptop/tablet at HSE offices:
- Connect your laptop/tablet to the HSE network.
DO NOT use Outlook (eMail) until your laptop/tablet is fully secured.
- Click on highlighted up pointer as shown below at bottom right hand corner of screen and indicated by the red line:
- Right Click on the highlighted icon. Depending on your version of antivirus software, this will be a red badge with the letter ‘M’, or a blue badge with the letter ‘M’.
- Depending on your version of antivirus software, click on Update Security … or on Update Now …
- An Update in Progress should commence and a screen, with details similar to the following, should display:
- When the update is finished, the Update in Progress window will close automatically after 30 seconds. When this window closes it will disappear from your screen.
- Again, right click on the highlighted icon. Depending on your version of antivirus software, this will be a red badge with the letter ‘M’, or a blue badge with the letter ‘M’.
- This time, depending on your version of antivirus software, click on About … or About VirusScan Enterprise …
- Depending on your version of antivirus software, a dialogue box similar to below, will be presented. Scroll Down to DAT Version and DAT Created on as
10. If the DAT Created on has a date later than ‘5/15/2017’ (15th May 2017), then it is safe to use your laptop/tablet for eMail and general purposes.
If the date is earlier than ‘5/15/2017’, then:
please disconnect your laptop/tablet IMMEDIATELY and contact the Service Desk on:
0818 300 300