The HSE and eHealth Ireland welcomed the commencement order for the Individual Health Identifier (IHI) signed by the Minister of Health Mr. Simon Harris on Tuesday 30th May 2017. This allowed for the operational use of the IHI throughout the Irish healthcare system in line with the terms of the Health Identifiers Act 2014.
In July 2015, a proof of concept version of the infrastructure was created, and a data cleansing and the matching process was completed, with over 90% success match rate against existing HSE Primary Care Reimbursement (PCRS) records.
The proof of concept solution using test data was made available to a number of systems so that they could begin to understand how clinical benefit can be gained from local systems by deploying access to the IHI Register. The HSE’s own development team carried out this early review with volunteer suppliers, Healthlink, Ergo, Clanwilliam (GP Practice Management Systems) and Complete GP.
In September 2015 a delegation order was commenced to allow the HSE to develop and operate the IHI on behalf of the Minister for Health.
A Public Consultation for the draft IHI Privacy Impact Assessment published on January 28, 2016, was conducted in March 2016 and extended to 8th April 2016 due to the volume of interest.
The outcomes for the Public Consultation and the IHI Privacy Impact Assessment itself was published on 10/08/2016.
On 8th November 2016, a Memorandum of Agreement was signed with the Department of Social Protection for the provision of Public Service Identify Records for the population and maintenance of the IHI Register allowing for the population of the IHI Register with 6.2 million approx. records for known residents of Ireland.
IHI numbers were generated and assigned to these records.
The IHI Project Deliverables
The key IHI Project deliverables are:
- The creation of a single national register of individual service users of Health and Social Care Services in Ireland
- The design and establishment of a business operations function to provide service user identity services to Health and Social Care Systems in Ireland
- The design and implementation of a technical infrastructure with appropriate external interfaces to support and maintain the national register (IHI system)
- The design and implementation of technical interfaces enabling data exchange between the IHI system and selected consumer systems.
IHI Project Delivery Approach
The IHI National Register has been created and populated with 6.2 million records from a trusted data source. A unique identifier (IHI number) has been generated and associated with each IHI record. These IHI records constitute the establishment of the IHI National Register.
A suite of interfaces will be delivered to:
- Allow a Health Service Provider to search for an IHI number for an individual
- Store the IHI number on the Health Service Provider system
- Notify the IHI National Register of any updates to the individual IHI record that may have been notified to the Health Service Provider by the individual.